Monday, September 15, 2008

Still Waiting....

Hello friends and family - (Ciao Amici e Famiglia , Privyet друзья и Семья )

Yes (si, da) - I am trying to brush up on both my Italiano and Russky. I was reading a book the other day and it had a lot of Italian in it. Or at least the Italian I heard a lot of growing up (most of which cannot be typed on this page HA HA HA), but it got me thinking, second languages are a part of our culture. Growing up in a large Italian household, there were just some things that were common place. We don't have dish towels, we have mopina's. We don't put sauce on our pasta - we put gravy on it. And anyone who was at my house while growing up - well, you know what Grandpa's jumbot was. We laugh about it now, especially when we get those email that go around - You know you are Italian if.... Well, the sad part is - they are true. Sunday is family day and yes, dinner starts at at 1-2pm.

But this leads me to a more important issue. One I can use some advice on. I have grown up being Italian and doing/saying Italian things. I hear myself saying things like mio dio or telling the boys venni qui , or che cosa fai - they understand it because that is all they have even known - How will Cassidy adapt to it? Not only are we going to ask her to adapt to an American culture, but also to an Italian family. I am trying to find ways to preserve her Russian heritage. Let her be proud to be from Russian heritage, but how do I blend the 2 (russian & italian)together?

Has anyone else had or felt this way? I could use some suggestions.

Update - There is none. We are still waiting for a court date. As soon as I know, I will post - I am READY!!!!!!

Have a great day, and please continue to pray!
Stephanie

2 comments:

Kris said...

Hi Stephanie,
You have a beautiful family! I've been following your journey not only because we are waiting to get a court date too, but also since we're going to the same city as you. I'm sure you'll hear good news soon! I have a Hungarian heritage, speak the language too. My kids (a daughter and a son) both learn/learned the 2 together. Once we'll have our new boy with us, I'll continue to same way as I did with my 2 kids. Kids adopt extremely fast. When he gets old enough to study a new language I'll have him take Russian which the most I can do since I can't teach him that. But until there are plenty of books in the library about Russia, the internet etc. which I'm going to do with him. The more languages they know the more person they become. Well, we'll hope the best for you too and hope you travel soon!
Kris

Shannon said...

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the comments and well wishes on my blog. I will take lots and lots of pictures and try to update the blog daily, provided I can master the computer while in Kras. I'm praying that you hear something about court really really soon.

As for the language and heritage issue, I don't think there will be a problem. Kids are such little sponges. Your little girl will pick up English, Italian and whatever amount of Russian you know with ease. I bet your sons will even pick up some Russian from your daughter if she is already talking. :)
Take care,
Shannon