Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sleep - It's Over Rated

Well, at least that is what Dennis and I are telling ourselves. We are not sure what the problem is, but Cassidy REFUSES to sleep. The battles begin as soon as she see's the bed. We understand it is unrealistic to expect that she will sleep through the night, or that she can sleep by herself (coming from sleeping with 11 other children) however, we did expect some sleep. Last night we gave her a bath, calmed down, and then pulled out the bed - only to have her go into a FIT of RAGE, screaming, crying, hitting, etc - Finally, somewhere after 2 hours of this, she finally calmed down and slept for 2 hours. Yes, you read right - 2 hours!!! And no, she has not slept since - Dennis and I had to take turns staying awake. As you can imagine, we are hoping that tonight is slightly different. So, that was the NOT so fun part of our evening, let me tell you about the funny part.

Cassidy can EAT!!! Between her brothers and her, Dennis and I will be working for the food bill. Last night she ate 2 helpings of carrots, a whole potato and 3 pieces of London Broil - and we had to stop her from more for fear her belly would get upset. Later that evening she had yogurt for snack. This is a good sign that hopefully she will put some weight on.
Currently, according to the orphanage she is a whopping 26lbs (seriously, her clothes are falling off of her). I brought all 4T's with us, and they are all TOO big. Thankfully her cords and jeans have the adjustable waist so we have tightened then as much as possible, tuck in her shirts, and roll up the bottoms.

Anyway, tonight is a new night, and I am sure a new battle. Hopefully Dennis and I will be able to implement some of the hard lessons we learned (from last night) to make tonight easier.

We will continue to keep you posted.
Stephanie (and Dennis)

6 comments:

Kris said...

Yeah, sleeping problems are pretty common as I understand. Our boy was very similar. It took him a month at home to be "normal" with sleep. They are mostly overstimulated and scared. We made a mistake on giving our boy a lot of toys and he was of course overstimulated and didn't want to miss out. Well, the good news is that in our experience, it took us about 4-5 weeks. By the way, she is very cute and I'm so glad to see her with you guys.

Craig and Phyllis said...

I missed your "Gotcha Day" post. So Congratulations!! She is adorable! But where are her bows?! I will pray that you have a better night tonight!

Anonymous said...

Oh...I MISSED the "Gotcha day" post! She's a sweetheart! Congratulations again, I am SO happy for all of you!

Renae

Troy and Rachel said...

Daniel slept at the hotel but once we got home there was too much around. Have you tried holding her against you and lay a blanket over your heads. It will block out any items of overstimulation and at the same time she will have to focus on you, her comfort. Just a thought.

Trisha, Duane, and Family said...

Hi Stephanie....I wanted to say that all my kids did the same thing at bedtime (excitement) and they all had some loose stools as well;-( due to new foods. Ours were also very small...but, they catch up fast. I forget to mention the other day...I love my Christmas ornaments that I bought while in Russia...just in case you don't think to get a few. They yearly bring back fond memories. ENJOY!!!! Many blessings...Trisha

Carey and Norman said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get much sleep. I can only imagine how nervous they must be especially since we cannot explain to them what is happening. We'd probably be the same way.

I enjoyed all the photos!! Cassidy is a doll.